To best serve our students, Saint Joseph employs a full time school nurse. The nurse is available to students throughout the school day and is able to consult with parents on health-related concerns about their son or daughter. The goal of course is to keep students in class, healthy, and learning to their fullest potential. The nurse serves as the primary point of contact for immunization records and health information, and the care of students requiring special treatment for ongoing conditions, such as food allergies and chronic health conditions. Please reach out to the nurse to discuss any health concerns related to your child.
The Nurse's Office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. during regular school days and is located in the Fine Arts Wing, near the Main Office.
- Students with non-emergency issues should go to the Nurse's Office during break or lunch so that the class time is not missed, and should check in with their classroom teacher prior to coming to the Nurse's Office to obtain a pass and to avoid being marked absent.
- A student absence related to illness should be reported by 9 a.m. to the Office of Student Life: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 574-239-7665.
- If a student is absent due to illness, upon returning to school, a note from a parent/guardian must be submitted to the Office of Student Life before the school day begins. If a student is absent for five (5) consecutive days due to illness, a physician's statement is required upon their return.
**Report all confirmed or suspected contagious diseases, acute injuries, or other health related issues to the school nurse: email@example.com or 574-252-1152.
Frequently used Forms:
- Parent Medication Consent Form: Required for any medication taken at school
- Physician Medication Consent Form: Required for any prescription medication taken at the school
- Student Health History: Please fill out if your child has any medical concerns
- Inhaler Self-Administration Consent Form: Please fill out if your child has asthma and will carry an inhaler during the school day
- Food Allergy Emergency Health Plan: Please fill out if your child has any documented food allergies
- EpiPen Self-Carry Consent Form: Please fill out if your child has food allergies and will carry an EpiPen during the school day
- Inhaler Release Form: Please fill out if your child has documented food allergies, but will not carry or have their own EpiPen as school
- Diabetic Profile
- Objection to Immunization: Renewal required each new school year
Your cooperation allows our school nurse to provide the best and safest care possible. Please feel free to contact Katie Harshman, RN, BSN if you have any questions or concerns regarding your student’s health care.
CHIRP Consent Form
The CHIRP Consent Form is required for all students upon initial enrollment at Saint Joe. This allows the school nurse to view and enter student immunization records in the State Immunization Registry Program (CHIRP) site.
The form is part of the Enrollment Checklist that parents complete through the SchoolAdmin enrollment portal.
Student immunization records must be uploaded to the SchoolAdmin portal at the time of initial enrollment.
The school nurse helps ensure student compliance with Indiana's immunization laws.
Note that rising seniors are required by Indiana to receive additional vaccinations.