Counseling and College Advising
The Saint Joseph High School Counselors collaborate with all stakeholder to maximize student success, promoting access and equity for all students. The counseling team at SJHS creates a school culture of success for all. We help all students apply academic achievement strategies, manage emotions and apply interpersonal skills, and plan for postsecondary options (higher education, military, work force, trades).
Our approach includes:
- Individual student academic planning and goal setting
- School counseling small groups based on student success standards
- Short-term counseling to students
- Referrals for long-term support
- Collaboration with families, teachers, administrators, and community resources for student success
- Advocacy for students at individual education plan meetings and other student-focused meetings
- Identify student issues, needs, and challenges
- Working to change systems to improve equity and access, achievement and opportunities for all students
*Adapted from the American School Counselor Association's The Role of the School Counselor
Academic Planning and College Advising
Additionally, counselors collaborate with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and the community to ensure students receive appropriate academic planning. This planning includes goal-setting and decision-making in developing four-year plans as freshmen; post-secondary planning and application process via in-classroom presentations as well as individualized planning; education in self-assessment (learning how to identify strengths and weaknesses); college exploration and career awareness; understanding of organizational, study, and test-taking skills; and development of resumes. We utilize Scoir as a College planning tool.
We love working with our families! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions.
Links to external resources:
Counseling Office Staff:
Mrs. Dana Strabavy, Director of School Counseling
Ms. Josie Hernandez, Administrative Assistant, (574) 233-6137, extension 516
Ms. Hayley Fuller, School Counselor
Dr. Lukas Mendoza, School Counselor, College and Career Advising